Recent Posts

big sky island

Once touted as the Riviera of Australia, Maria Island with its crumbling relics of penal colony, 19th century tourism venture and cement works has been on my must see list for some time.  Along with a rugged landscape that boasts beautiful beaches, various mountain hiking trails and indifferent wildlife roaming the brown hillsides, the island has always had an irresistible call. Perhaps it's also the fact that there are no cars allowed, just bicycles and that you can pitch a tent or stay in the old penitentiary but you have to cart everything there yourself, including water, that adds to its mystique and allure. It only attracts the most dedicated of campers. But still I never managed to get there. 

That is until this week, when I was lucky enough to be offered some work there, nothing too strenuous mind you, but interesting and delicious just the same. There was time to take in the big blue sky, watch the tall summer grasses blowing in the breeze and swim in the turquoise waters.  

Maybe you might see the results on television down the track.  But in the meantime, checkout these few snaps of the tiny part of Maria Island I visited, whilst I dream of a return visit soon.








30 comments:

  1. Fascinating Michelle..it looks both rugged and beautiful. Love that rusty tap and the enamel teapot x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, you can never have enough enamel can you? xx

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous. I haven't made it there yet either. Should have done it while I had the chance, when I was in Tassie for 6 months. But I think I will go. This looks like another series of GF in the making! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should go Deborah! It's amazing. x

      Delete
  3. There are no bad spots in Tassie are there? One day I'll get there, one day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! Like a dream. Stunning photos. We really need to make that trip down south happen. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I love the gourmet farmer! Can't wait to see what they get up to on Maria Island!! x Beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The next series is going to be great!

      Delete
  6. I have camped at Maria, beautiful spot and plan to head back down with my tribe over Easter also. Can't wait to see what you got up to down there! Lovely photos. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I can't wait to go camping there and yes, this next series is going to be amazing!

      Delete
  7. oh how i miss you all.
    we need to get there ASAP.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos.....and how lucky being on an island with those guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks gorgeous! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh wow, another one for the bucket list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Maria Island should go straight to the top! x

      Delete
  11. Another place in my island home I've never been! I have got to do something about that one day! Beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would totally love it Naomi! And it's not as difficult as you think to get there! xx

      Delete
  12. I currently live in the wilds of Scotland, but I am lucky enough to have a property opposite Maria Island and when I am I residence there, I visit this special place as often as I can; in these few images you have captured the essence beautifully; I look forward to more. It is a spectacular, magical place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky you are Annie, to live in such magical places. x

      Delete
  13. ooohhh....a swim sounds amazing....was it super chilly? love the expanse of that last shot...absolutely beautiful, Flick x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit Flick that I had a super thick wetsuit ;-) thanks for your kind words. x

      Delete
  14. I had hoped we see Maria Island when we were travelling in Tas, but alas we didn't get there in the end. Thanks for the virtual trip - looks like a lovely place with lots of soul. x Heike

    ReplyDelete