Recent Posts

School holidaze

I gotta admit, I'm running out of things to do these school holidays. I'm feeling a little drained and the creative ideas have run dry. It's lovely not to rush out the door in the morning, but yet, there's no denying it's hard work keeping the children amused. And still another month before school goes back. Oh what to do today...
...So in a flash of what I thought was pure brilliance, today we headed off to the local PYO farm. A gorgeous place in a secret little valley.
They only had raspberries today, so after being given a vintage pickers' bucket, we were pointed to the direction of nirvana. Rows and rows of lush ripe red raspberries. We have raspberries in our garden, but not enough to make any jam, so I figured a few kilos were in order. We picked and picked for what seemed like hours. For sure we'd have at least 4 kilos.
When the sun got too hot and the children started to look a little pink - and not just from the scoffing of raspberries, we took our massive haul to the farmer to be weighed, for which we paid the princely sum of ten dollars for 1.5kilos.
Boy it's hard work too. Miss E did a fabulous job before the farm's slippery dips beckoned, those steep cool old school metal ones, long banned by councils for being too dangerous.
So, that took up a good, oh, three hours. What's next?

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day! I really love picking berries, all those berries to take home, but most of all, I love guzzling them all as you go around! Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohh berry goodness! What's next? Smoothies, jam, muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those long school holidays - they seemed to go on forever...

    Raspberries - my number one all time favourite. I am very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know what you mean re holidays...it's fun but it's also a challenge! Those rasberries looked yummy..did you make any jam? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks so great. How lucky you are to have that at your door step. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm, yummy! I wonder if there will be any left over for jam? or baking?
    That slippery dip sure is a beauty:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am having the same problem with a very energetic 4-year old busting to run around with some mates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just so sweet that you're the type of mum who takes her kids out for a day of berry picking... your kids will have such fond memories!

    I'll always remember picking huckleberries with my parents (when I was very young).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely - no PYO close by inner west Sydney - and it is to darn hot of late. So am very jealous. what did you make with the berries?

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful part of the world you live in. Oh my, those beautiful rasberries.

    ReplyDelete