Recent Posts

Tractor love

I've always loved auctions, the excitement of finding a sought after treasure, fast talking auctioneers, the thrill of winning a bid and hopefully scoring a bargain.  That said, auctions are no place for someone like me with a strong competitive streak coupled with a terrible lack of self restraint.  I still enjoy a window shop at the rural clearance auctions though.  A monthly highlight for folks 'round these parts, it's a social day of catching up with friends and gossip, maybe finding a bargain, all whilst enjoying a delicious refreshment of spooky boiled red sausage in white supermarket bread. Armed with a bag of snacks, wet weather gear and camera, Hugo and I headed off to one this morning in search of treasure.
Despite being a grim, nine degrees with constant drizzle, we found what we (I) came to see, the covetable Massey Ferguson 35X. My dream tractor. Who wouldn't want to be seen sitting behind this stylish piece of vintage farming machinery?  As long as it was red of course, I sure would.


The auction had hundreds of old farming relics listed, all laid out in rows at the local show ground.  Rolls of wire, old Thonet chairs, the odd chaise longue, jam pans, fence posts, old kerosene tins, even a box of old stamps for apple cases which I would have loved (how much fun would the smalls have stamping sundowner on everything!)  Oh how I wished for a few child free hours and wads of cash.  However, queues, drizzle and potty training toddlers do not a happy mix make, so sadly we didn't stick around to see what bid lot 496 fetched.  Probably a good thing too.  I don't know how I would have got the Fergy home. It would look super nice on the lawn though...don't you think?.

8 comments:

  1. You'll always regret not buying that tractor Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Michelle how I miss you. For you are the only person who could educate me on stylish Tractors. And you are absolutely right it would have looked beautiful on your lawn. Any chance of a Sydney visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that's one damn hot tractor Michelle. Your posts always make me miss my babies...who have now morphed into smelly truculent teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a love of vintage tractors around here, too. Sounds like a great time, potty training notwithstanding. I am always wishing for a few hours at the antique store without my kiddos--large mirrors and small people just don't mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am from a Fergie family - my Father would invite you to become a member if our family if you had that tractor! Actually, just loving fergie's is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to move in next door. This looks like MEGA fun. I would have waited there for you while you popped home, and bidded on your behalf. I just KNOW you and the smalls would look splendid on that beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably a good thing you didn't stick around for the bidding on the tractor ... it was probably a bit Deere (sorry, that's the green one isn't it ... and a very silly joke!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you could drive it home... slowly

    oh the stamps would have been hard to walk away from

    ReplyDelete