Recent Posts

Milk Jam

Initially, I struggled to see the bright side of our fridge breaking down on Sunday. Given that every Saturday evening we get our weekly delivery of organic fruit, veg, bread and milk, it was poor timing on the fridge's part to go on the blink first thing Sunday morning. And sadly, there is no chance of us replacing it with one of these.

Most of our order will last until the repair man makes his once a week visit to these parts, but it's the milk that's issue. Four litres of delicious Elgaar milk needing to be used pronto.
Nothing else for it but to cook up a batch of dulce de leche, or confiture du lait, or plain old milk jam as it's called in our house. Milk with a little sugar, salt and vanilla slowly cooked for hours, which results in a thick, caramel jammy delight. You can eat it on bread, with yoghurt, or even bake some of these. The recipe is super easy, all you need is time, a few litres of milk, and even a fridge on the blink. Which does have a bright side to it after all :: a golden sticky carmel one.

That spoon did not go straight in my mouth I can assure you.
I put the camera down first.

On a healthier note, we've been out in the garden today. I'll show you around later in the week. There's some very exciting developments!

9 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely fab but don't you have to keep it in the fridge? Or doesn't it last that long:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, just wiping the dribbble of my chin now, that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the garden stake namey thing - what ARE they called?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i might have to put off making yogurt this week to try some of that milk jam. yum-mo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious - I have never heard of it before. Maybe you could invent a new cupcake to use it with?
    I will look forward to your garden photos - I definately need some inspiration to get gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've never tried it before but it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't wait to try it- i've never see such a concoction in my life! mmmm. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not surprisingly (I'm pretty average in the kitchen) I've never heard of this....looks amazing though!

    ReplyDelete