Recent Posts

For the birds

Today is the southern hemisphere's winter solstice, the year's shortest day and longest night. In southern Tasmania, the lack of daylight is quite noticeable, with the sun not rising until 7.43 and setting at 4.43. To be precise.

For the summer solstice, midsummer, we leave gifts of flowers and chocolates out for the fairies to keep them happy. On the flip side, today we made a gift for the birds, who might need a little extra comfort during these long cold nights. A wire ball stuffed full of materials to help build their nests. I can't remember on whose blog I saw this fantastic idea, but it is a good one.

They are easy and fun to make. We took some pliable wire and wrapped it around a pumpkin for shape. You could use a ball or anything round. You could even skip the first step and use old wire hanging baskets or maybe a pinecone. We carefully removed it from the pumpkin and we had a rough spherical shape. I left a little loop at the top for hanging.
Then we stuffed it full of interesting scraps from around the house and garden: wool, fleece, string, cotton threads, hair out of hairbrushes, clumps of possum fur, feathers from the chook house, tiny scraps of old fabric and moss.

We took them outside in today's precious sunshine and hung them in the trees. Over the next few months, we'll keep an eye out for nests in the garden to see if the birds have used any of the gifts we left for them.

Now we're back inside for soup and scones by the fire. We'll be lighting lots of candles tonight to remind us that the sun is on it's way back. Hope you're keeping warm and cosy too.

17 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a lovely idea and speaks not only of your generosity of spirit but love of nature.
    3 cheers for longer days full of warmth and sunshine for us and the birds.

    x Felicity

    PS: You are a wonderful Mummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful post Michelle.
    It made me cry. Everything is making me cry today. I wonder if that is due to solstice too. I think we might make ourselves a ball of scraps here too.
    Hope you are keeping warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. So simple, useful and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very sweet. My boys and I turned old jars into lanterns yesterday and went for a solstice lantern walk around our neighbourhood. I don't know if anyone else does that but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great. What an original idea! Hope the birds discover those thoughtful treasures. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely idea & a great way to mark the shortest day of the year. Hooray the sun is on it's way!!! Thanks for that piece of happy news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this idea and will have to remember it six months from now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE LOVE this!!!! I wish I had seen this post last week cause it would have been a definite here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Michelle, I've been enjoying your posts and this is a beautiful idea. We've put it one on our playgroup calendar to welcome the Spring. It looks wonderful and it will be great to see who comes to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    Just stumbled across your blog and I love it!
    Non Consumer Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cup cakes were delicious Michelle, it was lovely to see you, I hope the camera tips worked? I've been getting used to the 50mm and I think you will like it : )
    I Los your idea to give something to the birds, the solstice is my cousins birthday and I always feel slighly sad for her, but perhaps there are much better ways at looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea. School holidays are coming here and it will be a fantastic and constructive activity to fill a morning. Thanks so much for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely idea! I think my daughter would love leaving some gifts for the birds. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a lovely idea. i am going to use this idea in the holidays
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. It truly is mid winter in Tassie.
    Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful idea...my kids would love this ...it is on the to do list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete