Recent Posts

In the hay meadow

Last week we spent three lovely nights camping at our friends farm, in a fresh mown hay meadow next to the river. It's not exactly wilderness camping but so beautiful and quiet, and you can always duck home if you forget anything. Or need to use the loo for that matter.  

We made damper and cooked it on sticks and filled them with butter and golden syrup, something I loved doing as a little one.  But the peeps thought it took too long to cook, spoilt perhaps by the instant toasting of marshmallows we usually do. We picked more berries, fished for salmon, swam in the river and ate delicious food in the camp oven. And as an added bonus, there was enough hay stuck to our clothes when we got home to mulch a garden bed!   Hooray! 






11 comments:

  1. oh i long for a breath of fresh air like that!! sounds magic! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun times! Eating damper that way is the best, although I was always too impatient and it was always a touch on the doughy side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Your post makes me want to pack up my tent and family right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a great way to relax. Could you please share your damper recipe? Unfortunately that's a camping experience I haven't had yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds blissful, as well as rain free. You timed it well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful.That's my kind of camping (close to creature comforts!)

    I had forgotten about damper and golden syrup - Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks absolutely gorgeous and so, well, summery! Enjoy it for me! I'll just try not to think too much about all the snow outside my door . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like magic. So simple and so memorable. Sweet memories are made of this !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments Sweets!

    And Hungry Boy, being the experienced bush tucker woman I am, I simply googled a damper recipe on my iphone. There's plenty there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle sounds like you had a memorable time...I love the great outdoors & the smell of the camp fire.

    ReplyDelete