Recent Posts

The Dirty Life


I was at a party last month and, as usual, I found myself drawn to a certain crowd.  The ones gathered in a quiet corner, wearing their "good" Blunnies, deep in conversation.  The dance music blared, waiters balancing trays of cocktails and paella swept by largely unnoticed.  The discussion had turned to keeping chooks and for me there is no finer party conversation.

It seems a lot of the friends I've made in Tasmania share a similar dream.  One of wanting to either grow as much food as we can or at least know who did.  Have a few chooks, grow veggies, keep a house cow. Some even go that one step further than the dream of a big veggie patch.

Like one friend who bought a scythe from here so he could cut his grass without trying to wrangle a temperamental brush cutter, and break away from the oil addiction. Or the couple from London who dream of harrowing their fields using draught horses instead of a tractor. Then there is the family who moved miles into the Tasmanian wilderness from Marrickville, and now live a life more in common with Almanzo Wilder than the city one they left behind. Complete with a house cow.

So where am I getting to?  This book.  The Dirty Life by Kristan Kimball.  This memoir is one of the most heartening stories I have read since Animal Vegetable Miracle.  A real page turner, I couldn't put it down.  I laughed, I cried, I dreamed.  It's the tale of a New York gal who falls for a farmer and they move to a 500 acre derelict farm to start an organic CSA business.

Kim Kimball is no Lisa Douglas. Never before have I read a story of such a transformation. From NYC writer to a real, in all weathers, in all hours, when all seems hopeless, despite sickness or snow, hardworking-fingers-to-the-bone farmer.  Kristen with her husband Mark provide a whole diet, everything from vegetables, grains, dairy and meat, for 150 members every week of the year.  An incredible feat. Especially as they use draught horses, Amish tools and hand milk their cows. Their story is so amazing, their compost heap so enviable, their passion, their faith in the universe, their sheer hard work and their love are all so admirable. Everyone who cares about their food and where it comes from should read it. And be inspired.

A while back whilst I picked up a novel and on the back cover was a quote from a famous American actress along the lines of "I'm buying this book for all my friends."  I read the book. It was okay, but I didn't feel the need too rush out and distribute copies.

But the Dirty Life? This is the book I want to buy for all my friends.  At least for all the ones who wear Blunnies.  Or the ones who dream of wearing them.  It's as if Kristen bundled up all of our collective dreams and turned them into her reality.  Her life. A glorious, hardworking dirty one.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendation from a fellow blunnie wearer. Rob desperately wants a sycthe. the brushcutter is so noisy and cost a bomb last year when we had it serviced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered this after seeing it on your Mother's Day gift table. Can't wait to read it now. In case you didn't see this re-run on ABC last week - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgduN7uNGOY
    So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're always dreaming of someone elses life! I guess in this case, the grass actually IS greener!

    While you daydream about "the dirty life", I'd be happy enough with yours! My husband and I would love to move to Tassie so we could produce our own food and/or know exactly where it comes from. At the moment we're living in North Queenland as a family member is ill... but one day I hope we'll be down in Tassie living our dream. ...or the south of France. Either or.
    Love your blog.

    x claire

    P.S - Thanks for the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing. And I want to go to more dinner parties like that. Perhaps i need to get to any old diner party first before I start preferring some over others. : ) xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book looks wonderful! I'll definitely be checking it out. And thanks to Jodi for the link, we just watched the episode where they built the woodlands house so it was so lovely to see it down the track, with a family to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of novel! I live just outside of Launceston in the country, but I've always dreamed of buying a big block of land and having my own 'hobby' farm. Living in the city had never appealed to me (especially surburbian living!). Haha, I've also read that particular novel with the quote on the back cover. It was over-rated in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've written the title down and added it to my 'list', actually it's just been bumped up to the top of the list.
    I loved Animal Vegetable Miracle and any book that points slightly towards 'that' kind of life, I'm all over.

    Posts like this fuel me Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading that book now too and Ilove it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Michelle.......I'm always dreaming:) I have a few books with this theme coming in the mail. I'll add this to the list. I am bit obsessed with this subject at the moment, which can only be a good thing. As for a move, it always comes down to money. Where is the work, etc. But not a day goes past that I am not looking at realestate.com. at moment:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an inspiring book! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. M, had to tell you that I started The Dirty Life last night and stayed up far too late, completely engrossed. What a story!

    PS. Isn't the woodman's cottage breathtaking. It makes me so happy to see people build and live their dream x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I'm your newest follower. Love your blog. Love the fact you attend parties with people wearing their good blunnies. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm running off in my worn Blunnies to get a copy! thanks Michelle. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs B linked to this book review, and I have just requested that my local library buy it... it sounds like a brilliant read!

    ReplyDelete